This past weekend nine of Missouri brightest youth competed in the annual State 4-H Beef Demonstration contest. We are proud sponsors of this event, where these 4-Hers have the opportunity to develop presentation skills while learning how to cook safely and nutritiously and safely with beef.
We would like to thank our judges Laura Denker, Brenda Black, and Tom Brand for donating part of their Saturday to judge the contest. The contestants did not make their job easy with so many delicious dishes! We are happy to announce the winners of this year’s state contest and share one of the winning recipes with you!
13 and younger age division
- First place: Madelyn Derks from King City in Gentry County with her Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad recipe
- Second place: Alex Engeman from Montrose in Henry County with his Southwest Beef and Bell Pepper Skillet recipe
- Third place: Clayton Robinson from Center in Ralls County with his Legendary Steak recipe
14 and older age division
- First place: Katy Harlan from Salisbury in Chariton County with her Marinated Steak recipe
- Second place: Nathan Smith from Willa Ridge in Franklin County with his Beef Stroganoff recipe
- Third place: Kathleen Matz from Sedalia in Pettis County with her Santa Fe Casserole Bake recipe
Here is the first place recipe for Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad coming from our 13 and younger division as presented by Madelyn Derks.
Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad
By Madelyn Derks
- 4 sesame seed hamburger bun tops
- 1 small red onion divided
- 2 plum tomatoes
- ¾ lb 95% lean ground beef
- ½ cup finely diced dill pickles
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 8 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 cup (4oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425⁰
- Slice bun tops into 1/4inch strips. Arrange in a single layer on larger bar pan, bake 8-10 minutes or until buns are lightly toasted.Slice half the onions crosswire into thin rings.
- Cut tomatoes into lengthwise quarters. Set onion and tomatoes aside. Brown ground beef. Chop remaining onion into fine pieces. Dice pickles. Combine onion, pickles, ketchup, and mustard.
- Add cooked in ground beef. Mix. To serve arrange lettuce on a large serving platter. Spoon beef mixture over lettuce.