Wow! What a beautiful Spring day! For those of you making the most of this weather, training for an upcoming race or running event, you’re in luck! The below recipe, Caribbean Flank Steak with Coconut Rice, features lean flank steak as part of a healthy and tasty dish. It is a “Team Beef” approved recipe, and probably one the whole family can enjoy!
Speaking of Team Beef, we just put up the new application for the 2012-2013 Missouri Beef Running Team! Team Beef consists of a variety of runners from across Missouri who know the importance of incorporating lean beef into their active lives. They are passionate about spreading the message about healthy beef to other athletes, families, friends and anyone else they encounter. We’re taking applications through June 1, 2012, so fill yours out now! You can find the application and learn more at Mobeef.org/TeamBeef.
Caribbean Flank Steak with Coconut Rice
Total Recipe Time: 45 to 60 minutes
Marinade Time: 6 hours or overnight
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice, such as UNCLE BEN’S® Natural Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice for Marinade; discard excess juice. Reserve crushed pineapple for Coconut Rice.
- Combine marinade ingredients and reserved pineapple juice in small bowl. Place beef steak and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Prepare Coconut Rice. Combine water and rice in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35 to 45 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in reserved pineapple, coconut, almonds and cilantro. Season with salt, as desired.
- Meanwhile, remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 16 to 21 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Season with salt, as desired.
- Carve steak across the grain into thin slices. Serve with rice.
Makes 6 servings
Cook’s Tip: To broil, place steak on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil 13 to 18 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning once.
Cook’s Tip: To toast coconut on the stovetop, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spread coconut in single layer; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly brown, stirring occasionally.
Cook’s Tip: To toast almonds on the stovetop, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spread almonds in single layer; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly brown, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition information per serving: 308 calories; 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 42 mg cholesterol; 128 mg sodium; 27 g carbohydrate; 1.3 g fiber; 26 g protein; 6.9 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 1.6 mg iron; 27.7 mcg selenium; 4.5 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitaminB6, vitaminB12, selenium and zinc.