Pinwheel flank steak and Mexican lasagna are both great options to celebrate Beef Month, but these stuffed burgers are definitely worthy of the first place trophy. If you’ve followed our last two posts, you know that we’re featuring winning recipe from Carrollton radio station KMZU’s 2011 Beef Month recipe contest. Amanda McBee from Excelsior Springs, Mo. won first place with this recipe. Just like our second place winner, this recipe has versatility and comfort food going for it. And burgers on the grill is what Beef Month is all about!
- 2 lbs Ground beef
- ½ Small onion, chopped
- Tony’s Creole Seasoning or Seasoned Salt to taste
- Shredded cheese – You can do more than one kind ( cheddar, jack, pepper jack, blue cheese etc.)
- Options to add inside your burger with the cheese: Mushrooms, jalapenos, cream cheese, bell peppers
Amanda – “I like jalapenos with cream cheese and jack cheese. My husband loves blue cheese and mushrooms with onions.”
- Chop the onion and add to ground beef. Season beef with Creole seasoning or season salt to taste. Make your patties thin but not to thin and large so you have enough room to stuff them.
- Take one patty and add in the center your cheese and anything else you want, then take another patty and pinch the patties together around the edges and make sure it is sealed.
- Grill your burgers on one side until that side is done. (5 min depending on the grill). Then gently turn and grill on the other side.
- Take a tooth pick and poke a small hole in the middle of the burger releasing the steam that has built up inside. Remove from grill.
- Add any condiments you want to the bun and enjoy.
Be very careful with your first bite as the inside will be very hot and can burn you. That’s why you use the tooth pick to release the steam so you don’t get a face full on your first bite.
Amanda’s hint — “If you’re using a beef that does not hold together well when making the patties add some bread crumbs and an egg to the ground beef them make your patties.”
Alright, we’ve now provided you with three tasty recipes to celebrate Beef Month. I suggest making beef the highlight of your Memorial Day celebrations! To find more recipes and grilling tips, visit MoBeef.org and BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com.
Happy Beef Month!