What a great week to be at the fair! I wanted to share one more recipe with you that the Missouri CattleWomen are demonstrating in the Beef Showcase. This recipe is a National Beef Cookoff winning recipe, so you know it’s a good one! So simple, and fun for the kiddos to get involved with as well!
Total preparation & cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Makes 6 servings (2 pita halves)
- 1 pound ground beef (85% lean)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) cranberry sauce with whole cranberries
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 6 whole wheat pita pockets (6-inch diameter), cut in half crosswise, warmed
- Brown ground beef in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef up into 3/4 inch crumbles; drain.
- Add cranberry sauce, tomato paste, honey, garlic, salt and ginger to skillet with beef; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in coleslaw mix.
- Fill warm pita pocket halves with scant 1/2 cup beef mixture. Serve immediately.